Each of you will be creating and maintaining a blogspot blog. You’ll be asked to do weekly assigned posts, as well as to read each other’s blog entries and comment on them. Your blogs will be a chance to practice your writing in a forum other than the major papers we’ll be working on. In addition to commenting on all your posts with questions/suggestions, I’ll be giving you periodic evaluations of where you stand grade wise on your blog. At the end of the semester you’ll receive a letter grade on the entire blog project in its entirety. The blog makes up 15% of your grade. It’s important to bear in mind, however, that your blog assignments overlap with your participation, making them an integral part of your overall grade in the class. Here’s a general guideline of criteria for evaluation.
- Organization/appearance: Is your blog set up properly, easy to read, etc. Is your blogroll page set up properly? Is your profile set up, do you have a picture, etc.
- Grammar/punctuation/mechanics: I’m concerned with both your general presentation and the steps you take towards improving per the suggestions I make. That goes for all categories.
- Correct citing/source use: If and when you incorporate outside material, is it done according to the standards of proper citation/blog etiquette? Also, are you using outside sources when appropriate?
- Length/assignment concerns: Have you met all the requirements of the assignment? Have you completed all of your blog posts?
- Comments: Here I’m looking at the extent and quality of comments on other pages when I assign them.
- Overall content: Are your blog posts engaging, interesting, etc? Have you spent sufficient time/care of your work?